On the Subject of Adventure Games
This appears to be a strange interface for an old text adventure game. All of the inventory management puzzles you have come to know and love, but none of the story.
- The three screens show the enemy you are facing, a list of statistics about your character and the world, and a list of the objects in your inventory.
- In your inventory is three weapons, plus five miscellaneous items.
- You must decide which of the items to use to prepare for the battle, then which weapon to use.
- Use the left and right arrows to scroll through statistics and inventory.
- To use an item or weapon, press “USE” when it is displayed in the inventory.
- Use the item table below to determine whether or not to use each item.
- Items can be used in any order, but all applicable items must be used before a weapon is used to fight the enemy.
- Use the weapon table and the enemy statistic table to determine which weapon to use to fight the enemy.
- For each weapon, compare the player’s relevant stat (STR, DEX, or INT), plus any bonus, to the enemy’s same stat.
- To defeat the enemy most efficiently, use the weapon which has the highest stat advantage (or lowest disadvantage).
- If two weapons have the same stat advantage, either can be used.
|5 STR||Strength (STR) of player, used in combat|
|5 DEX||Dexterity (DEX) of player, used in combat|
|5 INT||Intelligence (INT) of player, used in combat|
|5’ 5”||Height of player, in feet and inches|
|15°C||Temperature, in degrees Celsius|
|9.8 m/s²||Force of gravity, in meters per second squared|
|101 kPa||Atmospheric pressure, in kilopascals|