On the Subject of the Brown Cipher
I hope this cipher isn't as crappy as it looks.
On the module, you will see 3 screens, a keyboard, 2 arrows, and a submit button that displays the current page you're on.
Pressing the right arrow takes you to the next page. Pressing the left arrow takes you to the previous page. There is a total of 2 pages.
On page 1, the top screen shows a 6 letter encrypted word, the middle and bottom screen shows an 6 letter string.
On page 2, the top and middle screens shows a 6 digit number, and the bottom screen shows a 6 letter screen.
Follow the mechanics down below to decrypt your word:
Step 1: Book Cipher
Take the text from all the screens except for the top screen of page 1 and layer it like so:
Middle Screen Page 1
Bottom Screen Page 1
Top Screen Page 2
Middle Screen Page 2
Bottom Screen Page 2
You should now have a grid of 6 columns by 5 rows. Each column corresponds to a letter from the Diary in the Appendix. For each column do the following instructions:
- Take the 1st row character and turn the letter into its alphabetic position. This will be called W.
- Take the 2nd row character and turn the letter into its alphabetic position. This will be called X.
- Take the 3rd row character and multiply it by 10. Add the 4th row character to that number. This will be called Y.
- Take the 5th row character and turn the letter into its alphabetic position. This will be called Z.
- The Zth character in the Yth word of the Xth paragraph on the Wth page is the decrypted letter.
This will result in a 6 letter keyword that will be used in steps 2 and 3.