On the Subject of Chord Qualities
They say that anything goes in jazz, but I didn't know that includes long boring tables!
See the next page for chord quality lookup.
- This module consists of a wheel with twelve notes on it, ordered chromatically.
- Four of those notes are selected with a triangle pointing towards them. These notes make up the given chord.
- Every chord consists of two parts: The root and the quality. For example, the root of the chord C-7 is the note C, and the quality is '-7'. Use the table on the next page (or music theory knowledge) to determine the root and quality of the given chord.
- Look up the root and quality of the answer chord in the tables below using the given chord's quality and root respectively.
- Reverse the process in step #3 to find the notes of the answer chord, and select the notes of the answer chord by rotating the wheel and pressing the button labled ◈.
- Press the other button to submit the answer chord. There is only one correct answer.
|Root to Quality||Quality to Root|