On the Subject of the Columnar CM
The numbers shown on screen 1 will be referred to as the Columnar Key.
If the Submit Button is white, follow the instructions under Encrypt Instructions. Otherwise follow the instructions under Decrypt Instructions.
- Write the encrypted word underneath the Columnar Key so that it fits in the columns of the key.
- Rearrange the columns so that the numbers are in ascending order.
- Read the letters top to bottom, left to right to get a decrypted word.
- Put X dashes under the Columnar Key so that it fits in the columns of the key. X is equal to the encrypted word's length.
- In ascending order, take the encrypted word and replace all the dashes under the Columnar Key with the letters.
- Read the letters in reading order to get a decrypted word.
Encrypted Word: TETRHEA
Columnar Key: 43152
Using Encrypt Rules
Decrypted Word: THEATER