On the Subject of Combination Vaults
Some would say that it is immensely dangerous to attempt to unlock these while rigged to explosives.
Personally, I find it perfectly safe.
- The vault has a distinctly-coloured dial in each of its four corners that can point in any of the four cardinal directions.
Each dial is connected to a different set of meshing gears.
Selecting a dial rotates it 90° clockwise and rotates any other dial it is meshed with 90° in either direction.
After 36 moves, the dials are fixed in their current position.
- In order to unlock the vault:
- Split the serial number into three pairs of characters.
- Interpret each pair of characters as a base 36 number and convert them into hexadecimal, taking the last two digits of each.
- If two consecutive pairs of digits are equal, add the other pair to the second of the consecutive pairs and take the last two digits of the sum.
- Find the table below whose corners match the colours of the dials on the module.
For each pair of digits, find the intersection point of the row corresponding to the first digit and the column corresponding to the second digit.
This point lies in the centre of a 2×2 subgrid containing directional arrows.
For each pair of digits, in order, rotate the dials such that their directions match that of the arrows in its corresponding subgrid and press the unlock button.
Once all three dial configurations have been correctly submitted, the vault will be unlocked.
- The reset button can be pressed at any time to return the module to its initial configuration, undoing any progress made toward unsealing the vault.