On the Subject of Earthbound
“Kid, you’re gonna blow up. Say hi to Hinawa for me.”
- The module contains three screens. One screen shows the character you are playing as, one screen shows the enemy and the background, and the last screen shows the four possible moves that the character could do at the start of the module.
- Select the correct moves to defeat the enemy and disarm the module.
- Selecting an incorrect move will incur a strike.
- Start off by determining the character you are, background number, and enemy you are fighting.
See Appendix MOTHER for an Earthbound identification reference.
Follow all the rules and stop at the end. If the number at the end is negative, Run when the last digit of the timer is the absolute value of the number, mod 10.
- If your character is from Mother 4 (Travis, Floyd, Meryl, Leo), and the serial number contains any character from “ØDIT4”, add 15 to the number.
- If the bomb has at least 3 batteries, and the number at this point is even, divide by 4 and round down.
- If the serial number has a vowel, subtract 20. Otherwise, add 50.
- If the background value is less than 50, multiply by 5.
- If the enemy is from Mother 1 (row 1-2), add 35. Otherwise, if the enemy is from Mother 2 (row 3-4), subtract the number of ports. Otherwise, divide by the number of ports and drop the numbers after the decimal, but if the number of ports is 0, keep the number as is.
- Multiply the number by the total amount of batteries plus 1.
- If there is an indicator with a vowel, add the product of the background number mod 10, and indicators.
The starting number is the background number plus the number of batteries.