On the Subject of Neutrinos
When the light hits your eye like a subatomic pie, that's neutrinooo...
This module consists of a screen, which displays the destination planet, and 6 circular buttons.
Tips for Success
- In order to solve this module, you need to determine the flavor of 3 neutrinos after travelling from the sun, to a planet in our solar system.
- The top 3 buttons of the module display the three neutrinos and their flavors at the start of their journey.
- The bottom 3 buttons, when pressed, will cycle through all 6 combinations of neutrinos.
- Make sure you do NOT press the bottom 3 buttons or the planet screen until you are ready to solve the module.
- When you are certain of the solution to the module, you will cycle the bottom 3 buttons to the correct neutrinos, in order, and then press the planet screen to submit your answer.
- If you press one of the bottom three buttons out of order, or the screen when the solution is incorrect, then you will incur a strike, but otherwise no changes will be made to the module.
- The top 3 buttons are inoperable, as it is not possible to change the starting neutrinos.
- In order to determine the correct flavors of the neutrinos, you will need to know how much time it took them to arrive at the destination planet. The following section of the manual will teach you how to calculate the travel times of each of the three neutrinos.
- Neutrinos exist in 3 "flavors": e, μ, and τ. They also each have a corresponding anti-neutrino which is denoted with a bar above.
- Neutrinos and anti-neutrinos of the same flavor can annihilate one another, just like with other particles and anti-particles.
- The 3 flavors of Neutrino have near-indistinguishable masses (1.2 mu), and as a result they have a probability of changing flavor. This concept is called "Neutrino Oscillation".
- Because neutrinos travel at such high speeds, the distances they travel contract. You may notice that the distances travelled by each neutrino will be different even though they are taking the same journey to the same destination.
- During the process of solving this module, you will make some relativitistic calculations, however the units of some of the values may not be recognizable. This has no impact on solving the module.