On the Subject of Points of Order
We are playing weird 4-card KTANE Mao. Play begins with me and proceeds in a clockwise direction.
- Welcome to this game of Mao. You joined at just the right time. We’ve already played five cards in accordance with the current rules of the game.
- You have four cards on your hand. Once you pick up your cards, you must play a valid card within 5 seconds to defuse the module.
- Playing a bad card or failing to play a card within 5 seconds will result in a strike. You will also receive four new cards.
To find out what the current rules of the game are, examine the cards already played and determine which two of the following rules are active and which one is inactive:
- Examine the first and second character
of the serial number. Depending on whether each is a letter or a number, the next card’s suit must be one of the following:
First character Second character Previously-played suit ♠ ♥ ♣ ♦ Letter Letter ♠ or ♥ ♥ or ♣ ♣ or ♦ ♦ or ♠ Letter Number ♠ or ♦ ♥ or ♠ ♣ or ♥ ♦ or ♣ Number Letter ♥ or ♣ ♣ or ♦ ♦ or ♠ ♠ or ♥ Number Number ♦ or ♣ ♠ or ♦ ♥ or ♠ ♣ or ♥
- Take the alphabetic position of the fourth character of the serial number and add/subtract 3 until it’s in the range 3–5. Ranks must alternate between being divisible and not divisible by this number.
- Take the alphabetic position of the fifth character of the serial number and add/subtract 3 until it’s in the range 0–2. Call this number x. Ranks of consecutive cards must have a difference of x + 2 or x + 3 (with wraparound allowed).
Ranks are considered to be numbered from 1 (Ace) to 13 (King).
Only one of the four cards in front of you is valid to play under the two active rules.